So now that we have grown up and extracted our plasmid DNA, the next question is how much do we have? And how the heck do you measure the concentration and purity (amount of unwanted protein to amount of DNA) of nanograms of DNA dissolved in microliters of volume? The answer is that we do … Continue reading GFP Project: DNA Quantification
Well, the GFP Project has come full circle. It started out about a month ago with the idea that a few people could get together and do some science together. I would say that it has been a success. In the past few weeks we have covered what I believe to be the “Hello World” … Continue reading GFP Project Week Three: DNA!
Oops. After a week off for spring break, I returned to the GFP project and realized we had to do another transformation, because last time we had accidentally used up all our stocks of transformed bacteria. So we did another transformation, and we also plated some of the leftover bacteria we had on a plate … Continue reading The GFP Project: One Step Backward, Two Steps Forward
This week was Week 2 of the GFP project! The extraction of the Green Fluorescent Protien (GFP) from the transformed host cells, using Hydrophobic Interaction Chromatography (HIC). We used a kit from Carolina because I have not ever done this before, and I didn’t really know what to buy to do this completely DIY style. … Continue reading GFP Project Week 2: Extract(ifying) GFP
It had been two days since the transformation yesterday, and I had not seen any growth on my plates. I was becoming concerned. It can be tricky to orchestrate the teaching and the actual transformation procedure, and I have had less than optimal results with this media, strain, and plasmid before. I was not sure … Continue reading The GFP Project Week 1: A Lesson in Patience and Ingenuity
The GFP project rolls forward! Powered (funded) by the people doing the work, I managed to order all the materials that we would need for a transformation this weekend (by that, I mean today). There was an awesome turnout; some new people came out, a lot of supporters came out, and a good time was … Continue reading The GFP Project Week 1: Hands-on Transformation!
The GFP project has begun at BOSSLAB. Headed by the Chief Troublemaker of this blog (me), a group of people will be using BOSSLAB to play around with pGREEN, a plasmid that produces GFP. The goal of this project is not only to get local people working hands-on with biotech, but to support the DIYBIO … Continue reading The GFP Project Week 0: Welcome to BOSSLAB
Today was “Day 0” of the GFP project. Today, I showed everyone how to pour plates while practicing (some amount of) aseptic technique. This is a walkthrough of preparing LB plates from mixing the agar, to how the plates should be labeled. Things you will need: Dry LB agar mix, OR dry LB and dry … Continue reading DIYBIO: Aseptic Technique as Learned By Pouring Plates
A few months ago, I was invited by Sara Wylie to talk to some students at RISD about DIY-Bio, specifically, I was invited to show them how I did my DIY transformation a few months ago. It was an AWESOME experience, and a lot of interesting topics came up in the area of ethics, and … Continue reading Transformation 2.0- RISD